Phone Call.

       

It's crazy to think how far I've come these past two years. At the age of 17 I thought my life was over, I had no understanding of a stroke or Brain Injury and no idea what was going on. I thought I'd never be able to do the things my friends do or go to college for that matter. I know I started this blog to help others but it's also helped me so much this past month. Never had I thought when writing my first post, that I'd be here now, doing radio interview's and never in a million years would I have expected to be in a newspaper like Irish Mirror. It's all overwhelming and surreal , I can't thank people enough for how kind and supportive you have all been and are being.

I never did and still don't at times feel my story was anything shocking or special because to me I'm just a teenager who suffered a stroke and has had a traumatic life changing experience, just like others I'm sure. My mother has told me over and over again for the past two year  "Ree it is shocking what happened to you, It's not heard of and people need to know."  she was right I didn't realise until I started the blog, I never expected the huge response I have gotten. People don't  really know it can happen and they need to know and people like me who have suffered and kept it quiet because they are embarrassed or afraid they need support. I tried keeping it quiet for two years, I hated the thought of everyone knowing I had a stroke and have a brain injury, I was embarrassed until I realised I have no need to, it happened I survived and I want to help those like me, so they know there is no need to be embarrassed, it is apart of you now, so be proud, be proud you lived through it and that you are here to tell your story.

Last night I got a phone call off a person who is now in their thirties and suffered a stroke just before their 18th birthday. This person told me their story. I myself stereotyped this person when they told me what they did for a living, I thought wait how can you have that job if you were like me, if you experienced something similar to me. I stereotyped myself and this person because we have had strokes and have brain injuries. This person inspired me, listening to their story, listening to how far they have come, even though most days were a battle and draining. That it took them longer than others to get to where they wanted to be, but they got there and they appreciated it more in the end.

You inspired me and made me realise that if I really want to go to college and get a career or job I can get there even if it takes me longer and I have to work twice as hard.  You made me realise that I can have a normal life ( while resting now and again) and that I can go where I want to in life no matter what obstacles get in the way. I can't thank you enough for sharing your story with me, it inspired me and helped me thank you so much. Knowing someone else out there who I can now relate to makes me feel better and makes me have more hope and encouragement to help others. Thank you.

Ryan Tubridy will be interviewing me tomorrow morning between 9:30 & 10:00 on RTE Radio 1. Please listen in, I will post the link to it up on the blog tomorrow for anyone that will miss it or can't get it. Thanks for all your kind words and support. 💜💜


Comments

Popular Posts