King Ena


My name is Emonena Abenabe but you can call me “Ena”. Im 26years old and I’m a Lawyer, Author, Inspirational speaker, Entrepreneur and a Stroke Survivor.
I’m from Delta State, Nigeria and I live in Lagos, Nigeria. 

Let me tell you my stroke story, I had a stroke when I was only 23years old. 

Sometime in July 2015, I was feeling pains in my legs, but I ignored it, I said to myself the pain will go as it came, but it didn't stop as the months flew. I didnt have money to go Lagos hospital, and I couldn't even start to ask my mother because she is struggling. In October 2015 I had my passing out from National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) (it something we do in Nigeria that’s really compulsory when you finish school) and a week later, was my Call-to-bar ceremony. By that time I had already abandoned my high heels because of the pain. The dress code of the ceremony required high heeled shoe so I wore black high heeled shoes, I was in pain, feeling dizzy. During the ceremony I managed to go out to the podium when I heard my name and took my certificate, afterward I came to the place where I sat but this time I stood, this was a rule, you have to stand until the ceremony ends unless the Chief Judge asks you to sit. So I stood, before I knew it I fainted and woke up in the Ambulance outside the hall, I saw drip in my body. 

After my call to bar, I went to warri to stay with my mother for a week while I hustle the money for the hospital bills. I came back to Lagos, at that time the pain in my legs increased, I finally went to a hospital and I did several tests and the tests came out, the doctor said I had anaemia and one infection that I’ve forgotten the name because my white blood cells were too high and there are signs that I may have DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Now let me explain everything, anaemia is a condition in which there is a deficiency of red blood cells or haemoglobin in the blood, resulting in pallor and weariness and DVT is a short form of Deep Vein Thrombosis and it occurs when a blood clot forms in one or more of the deep veins in your body, usually in your legs, it can cause leg pain or swelling, explains why I was in pain just google every illness I mentioned because it can happen to anyone!

 I can remember not sleeping all night for 1 week, either crying or praising God because of the pain, it was horrible. 
While the doctor was treating me for the infection and anaemia, I did a scan in a lab and they found DVT as the doctor said, in my left leg in different places and I took the results to the hospital, the doctor prescribed warfarin and a certain injection to be taken through my stomach. The doctor said I’m to take the drug for six (6) months, while coming to the hospital every week for tests to see that the drug is not thinning my blood so bad. 

The first day I took the injection and the drug, was when the stroke happened, that evening, I fell down and couldn’t move but I was conscious, that night, my cousin took me to that same hospital, it turned that they didn’t know what was wrong with me, the next day, my cousins took me out of the hospital, they went to at least 3 hospitals before finding the right hospital. 
According to the hospital report, I had an ischemic stroke, something about an infection in my heart caused it. I was in and out of consciousness all this time and when I finally woke up and the doctors told that I had a stroke, I could not comprehend it, to me, stroke was meant for old folks. 

Fortunately for my mum and the doctor, I was a happy patient, I was not the sulky type, I smiled with my left side of my face to my friends when they came to see me, I didn’t remember some of their names, my brain was fuzzy, and I couldn’t remember most things. Then came the mobility treatment, the first time the physiotherapist used a stimulator on me, I shouted and cried throughout the session, I had a hard time in the hospital, pains that I have never experienced was happening to me. The doctors found out that I had an infection in my heart and they prescribed drugs, mostly injections.

I started learning to walk again in the hospital with a walker, I was so happy that was a chance of me walking even though I could not walk for long before I needed to sit on a chair. I was discharged after three weeks and I could not talk still, nor raise my right hand, my speech came to me gradually and the use of my right hand was coming to me gradually. I was still on drugs to clear the infection in my heart for the next two (2) months, until the doctor told my family that the infection has cleared.

Now I can walk and talk although I’m still struggling with my right hand but great things happened to me, I wrote a book.
My mum inspired me to write this book “I Almost Died”, the zeal to take care of her and help people with my book, with my stroke story and the stories of others.
I’m an orphan by the way, my dad died 10years ago while my mum died on the 21st of November 2018, last year. Infact I finished my manuscript besides her sick bed, she died of chronic kidney disease. 
Since I launched my book on the 6th of January 2019, wonderful things has been happening, it’s like God opened doors upon doors.

I was interviewed by National media like Lagos talks radio show, my book launch clip was shown by Silverbird tv on DSTV, my book was featured on Guardian newspaper and many more are coming.
All these are happening because I did not give up, throughout my stay in the hospital during the stroke attack to my mum’s death. The universe started working for me, so no matter what you are going through, giving up is not an option. 

You can get a copy of my book by clicking on this link
https://books2read.com/u/47Z6V7
It will show you IBooks, Amazon kindle, Barnes and noble etc 

      💜💜💜💜
I've known this woman for about 6 months or more, even though she is miles apart from me she never fails to inspire me or help me whenever I need a friend to talk to.  
Thank you so much for letting me share your story, I'm so blessed and grateful to call you my friend. I'm so blessed to be able to share your Survivor Story. 
💜💜💜💜


Comments

Popular Posts